The Shell Collector's Code of Ethics
I realize that mollusks are port of our precious natural wildlife resources. Therefore:
- I WILL make every effort to protect and preserve them not only for my own future enjoyment, but for the benefit of generations to come;
- I WILL always leave every shelling spot as undisturbed as possible.
- I WILL take only those specimens needed for my collection and for exchange at the time...shells in a box cannot reproduce while I am waiting for a place to send them.
- I WILL leave behind the damaged and young specimens so that they may live and multiply.
- I WILL NOT collect live egg cases unless they are to be used for study and then only small quantities.
- I WILL NEVER "clean out a colony" of shells.
- I WILL practice and promote these conservation rules in every way possible.